Monday, April 25, 2011

Is There Ever A Free Lunch Or In This Case Wi-Fi?



I'm a student and have no money for wireless internet or any type of internet for that matter. This entire semester when I have had a project to do, I would walk the two blocks to my neighborhood Starbucks. There is only one, but there is also a Coffee Bean right across the street.

It's great  because you can get free wireless internet. But are you supposed to buy something as well?

Obviously, I know it's the unspoken status quo to purchase something, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this but is this something I should feel guilty about?

Over 4 months, I think I've bought 3 cups of coffee and I'm here about 3 days a week. I don't even want to think of how much money I would have spent if I bought something everyday. It would definitely equate to a significantly smaller amount of consumed burritos and beer over the past 4 months.

While there is no sign and no one telling me to purchase anything; I've begun to wonder if what I am doing is wrong. Even as I write this, I'm inside me free wireless internet provider adding to my number of blog posts.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because I'm the only one here and not taking space away from anyone. But if I was the owner I guess I would be pist.

For all I know the employees are always giving me the evil eye and I'm just oblivious to it. That's how serious of a blogger I am, oblivious to my surroundings.

What do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. In reality, those people who work there are providing free WiFi in the high hopes that costumers will purchase something. I understand why it would be so tempting to constantly go back to these coffee shops and be "oblivious" to the employees "evil eye" since you actually do not know them personally. If you can get away with getting what you want for free then what’s stopping you from continuously doing it again? But the blatant truth is that you are taking advantage of them…As an alternative route, perhaps use the University’s “free” internet. I mean you are paying for it so you might as well get your moneys worth and as a bonus feel guilty-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I live all the way in Hermosa beach so frack that. I'm so glad we went over ethics yesterday in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine not having internet at my constant disposal. If I didn't have it I would probably never leave campus, or do just like you and bum internet from a McDonalds or Starbucks.
    In terms of bumming internet being wrong, I think Starbucks makes enough money off each over-priced thing they sell that you have no reason to feel guilty. Feeling awkward is something entirely different haha. I have never used my computer at a free wifi place, but if I didn't buy something I would feel more guilty than awkward. I imagine that around USC it's pretty common for people to bum internet from places like that without purchasing something which should further reduce your worrying.
    In the end, they win out from people who come to just use the internet so just think you're "sticking it to the man" and keep on surfing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew McDonalds had internet. Is that at one of their McCafes?

    But it's all cool now. I see these guys that work here all the time now and they don't really care. They were just passing out samples recently. I didn't think they were going to offer me any but they did and of course I said no. Then, 20 minutes later, they come by with others and insisted I take one and were completely chill.

    I totally didn't realize that we're ALL poor students so they can understand what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete