Sunday, March 13, 2011

Natural Disaster

The earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan a few days ago are terrifying to think about. CTV News reports that the magnitude of the earthquake has been measured to be between 8.9 and 9.0 depending on who you ask. And the death toll could be close to 1,700 people.



I am very thankful that all my friends who have family in Japan are ok. There were several days when my friends did not know if their family members were alive because lines of communication were cut off.

The tsunami also hit other areas. In the U.S. five people were reported pulled out to sea in California and Oregon. In addition there was flooding in areas like Hawaii and Latin America.

The SF Gate reported that in Northern California there was significant damage to harbors and boats. Crescent City and Santa Cruz each have 18 and 17 sunken boats respectively. Plus, both cities are expected to need significant environmental cleanup from other damaged boats leaking fuel and oil.

Crescent City is in the northern most part of California and right next to the Oregon border.

This isn’t the first time a tsunami as hit California. The Great Alaskan Earthquake in 1964 caused tsunami waves up to 21 feet in Crescent City and 11 feet in Santa Cruz. Even though the threat of tsunamis is considered to be low in California, it is something to be concerned about.

I’m starting to wonder if we are actually prepared for this in Southern California. But the other day I did notice a tsunami evacuation sign that’s been near my house ever since I’ve been there. I guess we do have a plan. Unfortunately, I don’t think many people are aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment