Sunday, January 23, 2011

California Burritos

My first post will be about Mexican food because I’ve spent the last 4 months in Asia and I have been a little obsessed with this. I just recently moved to the beach while finishing my last semester of school and there is a Mexican restaurant nearby that I have been going to fairly often. This place is called Los Muchachos.

The reason why I’ve decided to bring this restaurant to your attention is because the first day that I entered there, I realized that there was no “California Burrito” on the menu. For those of you not native to Southern California or are allergic to delicious food, a California Burrito is comprised of carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and French fries wrapped in a tortilla. I have indeed seen different variations throughout the San Diego area and some may argue whether both guacamole and sour cream are included but these are the typical ingredients.
You may be thinking that I’m crazy for writing about a certain type of burrito but if The California Burrito Review blog is any indication, I am not the only one.

Anyways, I was shocked because I thought that California Burritos were everywhere in California. It would make sense for the California Burrito to live up to its name. Apparently this isn’t true. When I questioned the staff, they said that it was a San Diego thing and that even though customers request it very often, they don’t serve it. After that incident and ordering a delicious breakfast burrito instead, I decided to do a little research of my own and found that even on Wikipedia, California Burritos are credited as a San Diego, CA specialty and called a “border fusion” food. I am not sure whether I should be excited that I was lucky enough to be born in the city that introduced this wonderful creation or be struck down in remorse that I was not aware that many parts of California have not experienced the joys of eating a California Burrito. Whether it is after surfing, a late night out, or you’re just starving, nothing can compare to a California Burrito. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter and your stories with favorite memories while arriving at taco shops around the world. I definitely have many which I plan to share.

Despite my criticism, I would like to say that Los Muchachos is a restaurant with delicious food and great service. I recommend anyone in the Hermosa Beach area to stop by and give it a try and you’ll always find someone eager to chat with while you enjoy your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment