Monday, April 25, 2011

Surf Pros

Do you still dream about meeting your sports hero?

Well, the article written by Tetsuhiko Endo today goes one step beyond that and brags about as surfers, we don't just have the chance to meet our suref idol (which is way easier than any other sport), but we actually get to surf with them.

Endo makes a point in saying that athletes that volunteer spending time playing ball or whatever sport they play with kids is not the same as actually practising with them.

First, meeting them is so much easier. In basketball for example, players have tight security, retreat back to their large houses, or if they do go out, go to expensive clubs that only other celebrities can get into.

In surfing, a fan can approach their surfing idol almost at anytime and ask for an autograph or photo. Plus these contests are held all over the world. I remember taking a photo with Kelly Slater in Bilbao, Spain when the surfing World Tour stopped just 10 minutes from my house. I was so excited when one of the photographers, a fellow San Diegan, told me to just walk up to Slater after he finished his heat.

No big deal right?

What about when I "saved" who I think was Slater's sister (or could have been girlfriend) when I brushed this crazy looking spider off her back. I know, I'm a little star-stuck just writing this post but you can call me a hero if you want.

Second, referring specifically to Endo's article, you can go out in San Diego, a relatively less star studded area unlike the North Shore or Todos Santos on a big day, and many times run into professional surfers.

I swear I see Joel Tudor, former ASP Longboard World Champion, out everytime I surf Blacks, which, granted isn't very often since I'm living in LA at the moment but still is cool everytime.



Joel Tudor
Yes, you can say this isn't that impressive since Joel Tudor is from Southern California but so are several of the baseball players that play for the San Diego Padres. And how many times do you get to throw a ball around with them?

This sport is awsome.

But while I agree with Endo, I think he is wrong in saying that surfing is the only sport you can hang out with the pros. While a little more difficult, you have snowboarding and skiing, rockclimbing, kyacking, and probably the easiest out of these sports, skating. I'm ignoring skimboarding because it's close enough to surfing but obviously it's different (just go to Newport and Laguna-- are these the same place?).


skimming


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent this past weekend in La Jolla, San Diego and a friend of mine is a die-hard surfer. He made sure to show me the areas in which he loves to surf the most and gets the best waves, then spent a good 15 minutes of just watching surfers before I insisted we move on. I never thought about it until you pointed out that there could be a high possibility of a professional surfer down in the water amongst the crowd of black figures. Being able to be in the same atmosphere with someone you respect and idolize is truly unique and gratifying. I have to agree that surfing is not the only sport you can practice and leisurely participate in with a professional/sports hero, but as a skier myself I can’t say I have ever had the opportunity to race down the slopes with Lindsey Vonn. Though they don’t have the same security restrictions as you mention basketball players do, it seems to be pure luck if you come across someone you’re star struck by. So does that mean surfing is not seen to the public eye as a legitimate sport or perhaps not as highly respected? Or is it just the lifestyle of casually surfing, hitting the slopes, or skating that makes it so much easier to approach these athletes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so first, that's sic that you were in LJ because that's where I went to high school. I'm sure he took you to Wind 'an Sea which is right down the street from the school. There are a lot of professional and famous surfers who have surfed there. I personally don't know all of them, but there are 2 that come to mind. You might have heard of a movie called The Endless Summer (one of the few main-stream surf films). Well,the 2 stars Michael hynson and Robert August were both a part of the Wind 'an Sea Surf Club.

    And sometimes it's luck if you run into these surfers but if you are really determined, you can definitely find them (but that's too much like a stalker) or you can just go to a contest you know they'll be at.

    Second, I don't think that surfing isn't seen as a legitamate sport--at least not any less than skiing or snowboarding--, it's just that because such a small part of the nation (U.S.) can actually practice the sport, it doesn't get as much attention. If you go to Australia, surfing is on the news all the time. Typically, I think people watch sports that they have played themselves; they can understand what is happening that much more.

    On the otherhand, it could be that surfing is surrounded by this "relaxed" aura but that's something that was created through films like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, with characters like Spiccolli. In the '50s a lot of the people were more clean cut-- watch Big Wenesday with Gary Busey haha.

    I wouldn't necessarily say that the athletes are easier to approach than other sports per say. I guess because it's a little bit smaller than basketball or baseball maybe, but you still have assholes who won't give you the time of day or people (not-necessarily professionals) who believe that they own their home beach break and cuses out (or worse) any non-local who tries to surf there.

    But yes, all the professional surfers I've met have always been friendly.

    Sorry, it won't let me hyperlink some of the things I just wrote about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like another long-blog post.

    ReplyDelete